How to setup and run the Simulation ToolIn this page we provide a brief overview of steps necessary to setup and run the simulation tool.
What do I need to do to run storage system simulations?
There are two possible ways to initialise storage system simulations:
- After starting the tool you may directly click on 'Run model' displayed on the main tool panel (presented in Figure 1). This will initialise the simulation based on the already existing configuration. This way the simulation initialises with the previously specified and saved set of configuration parameters.
- Alternatively, if you wish to create your own custom storage system configuration you may click on 'Setup' button (before running the simulation) which will open up storage system configuration wizard panel. Using the wizard, you can update the existing storage system configuration, or create your own one. The steps required to create your own custom configuration are explained below.
How to create my own storage system configuration?
If you decided to create your own storage system configuration in order to simulate your custom system, you need to follow these steps:
- Run the tool and on the main panel decide which storage system to simulate (one, two or three-storage model). These models differ between each other with the number of separate storage systems (that can be configured to represent different storage strategies) the tool is simulating as a single archiving solution.
- Select the existing configuration template from the drop down list that you wish to alter and click 'Setup' button. This initialises the storage system configuration wizard (illustrated in Figure 2) that is loaded with the configuration template you have selected.
- Using the tabs provided by the configuration wizard you can adjust the configuration of specific model components (ingestion, access queues or storage systems) and either update or create their new configurations. Finally, once the changes to the configuration of the individual system components are done, you may use Model Template Management tab to update (or create new) model configuration template.
What can I do when the simulation is running?
Once the simulation starts an interactive simulation panel is displayed (illustrated in Figure 3) that allows you to:
- Interact and observe the performance of individual system elements (ingestion and access queues or storage systems).
- Monitor the global performance of the model that is displayed in Global Performance tab.
- Update model configuration based on the changes you have made during the simulation.
- Adjust the simulation speed or exit the simulation using the panel exposed at the bottom of the simulation panel.
To display the panel of the specific model component you wish to monitor, use the tabs provided in the top left corner. When the component you are interested in is displayed (for example Storage System 1 in Figure 3) you can alter its configuration parameters dynamically at run-time (using the bottom left quarter of the panel) as well as observe its performance (and the effects of your changes) using the performance charts that display the run-time metrics of the simulated system.